Sunday, January 11, 2009

Here Comes The Sun

It's all right. That nice, warm, Colorado sun on my face in January.

I'm happy to say that the treadmill was left unused and unloved yesterday, as I was able to successfully schedule a 14-miler into my day at a time that wouldn't impact other goings-on, or cause me to run out of daylight and have that packed snow and slush turn icy and dangerous.

This was one of those runs that reminds me why I LOVE running here in the winter. There was slight humidity in the air, which is great around these parts-it gets so dry on some winter days that breathing can be difficult at times, especially on a very cold day coupled with very low humidity. Yesterday, the air was just moist enough that it felt good to take in the air without it being so humid that it became bone-chillingly cold. This was a cutback week, and I was scheduled for twelve miles, but as I'm "SuperPfitzing It," my personal plan was to run on feel and do somewhere in the 12-15 mile range. I wound up doing fourteen, and was pleased with my pace, given the snowy, slushy spots on the trail.

Another fellow blogger mentioned some amazing bird sightings on a recent run. It caught my eye because I've found myself becoming more and more aware of the birds that perch in trees and fly around the riverfront trail where I run. It's always out of the blue-I'll be running along and something with a humongous wing span will cross the water, or I'll look up and see something staring down from a tree. I think that before I started running regularly, I was completely unaware of all the sights and sounds of wildlife down there. Between the mountain lions and bobcats, the deer and the birds, I find myself becoming more and more interested in the creatures that live where I run, and am always excited and curious to find out which animals will make an appearance along my route on any given day.

Yesterday, I was on what I call the "lonely section" of the riverfront loop. The human population tends to avoid this section other than those who are biking, running or walking the entire loop, and there are large, bare, shadeless stretches where tamarisk abatement has taken place. I was moving along, looked up and saw what I am nearly certain was a bald eagle, or a VERY similar species. It soared overhead and I had to stop what I was doing to watch it for a few more seconds until it was out of view. This was just one of many unexpected moments I'm treated to when I make sure to get OUT there and off the treadmill whenever I'm able, and I am very excited to get back to my regular weekend routine of layering up to hit the trails.

6 comments:

Preston said...

I had a lady once stop me to point out a bird in a tree while I was out running once. Your comment made me think of that. Good to hear about the warm weather in Colorado

Anonymous said...

Karah - wow. You continue to inspire me in ways I don't think you'll ever know. Someday, I'll get off the computer chair. LOL! It's going to be in the spring, though. ;-)

Mir said...

Ooh, always exciting to spot a large bird like that. I saw a big heron (Great Blue, I believe) on Saturday and it was so exciting.

Mark said...

Way to go! Great run. I will see a lot of Red-tail hawks down here in the Ozarks.

Oz Runner said...

Yeah Colorado is awesome anytime of year......Nice job on the run....

I want to do a half marathon this spring and I am keeping the Abilene half an option...still working out our scheduling/life challenges...

TiredMamaRunning said...

OzRunner, hope you can make it! Sounds like they put on a first-class event-nearly all the marathonguide.com reviews of Abilene were very good (and people can be BRUTAL in their reviews there).

Preston, Miranda, Mark....isn't it cool? You never think of yourself as a birder or nature enthusiast until you see some really cool bird that you wouldn't see every day just driving around town.

Laura, hey, planning to start something in the spring is great! I'm here to cheer you on when you start. :)