Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Getting Over The Post-Marathon Slump Hump Day

I think I'm finally turning a corner and starting to feel like a normal runner again!

This is my third week on the Pfitz recovery schedule, and after two weeks of dead legs, they seem to becoming undead. One thing I really like about the Pfitz schedule is that it actually HAS a recovery training schedule.....not just the training plan, the high of the marathon, then nothing, like getting spit out onto the side of the New Jersey turnpike with no direction after like in Being John Malkovich. It's giving me something to do without confusion over whether I am doing too much, or not enough.

I counted out the weeks from the Eisenhower Marathon, and although I didn't plan it that way on purpose, the five week recovery schedule ends perfectly with exactly eighteen weeks after until the next marathon. I know it wouldn't have been hard to tweak a schedule and make minor modifications, but it is encouraging to know that this really was a good timeline I chose for the next big race.

For now, it's time to get ready for a local turkey trot, and prepare myself to get thumped by our local big dog girls. Just kidding. I don't ever go in preparing to get thumped, but we've got some great local competition on the women's side, and it seems I'm always looking at their backs. I like it, though-I feel like I'm doing okay when I am able to SEE them at all. It's been about four months since I last ran a 5K for myself that didn't involve pacing one of the older girls, so we'll see how I do. It should be nice and cold, so this means it'll be a "no excuses" day so long as it's not raining or snowing hard.

No comments: