Friday, July 24, 2009

Are You A Runner Or Walker in Northern Virginia or DC Metro Area?

If so, please direct your attention to this. The Cody's Crew Foundation will be holding the 1st Annual 5K, Mile, and Tot Trot. As stated on the website, this first annual event is to celebrate the life of a remarkable young boy while we run to find a cure for one of the most deadly childhood cancers.

It's taking place in September, according to Cody's Dad Mickey, for two reasons. The first is for Cody's birthday (September 11), and the second is that September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. All kid finishers will get medals at this event so it would be a great thing for people to attend with their kids, neices/nephews, or any other young relatives or friends.

There will be a LOT of fun activities associated with the event in addition to the running and walking, and will be a very family-friendly event. It's also a great excuse to get out there in a totally pressure free environment for someone getting back into shape, beginning to run, or even fo the more experienced runner to do something to invigorate their training. I wish I was not half the country away from my native NOVA-I would love to participate! If any of you do know folks it the area and you think they'd be interested, please pass the race information along. They also are looking for volunteers, so that would be a fun way to participate as well.

3 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

I'm a TAD too far away, but I'll send my wishes for a great event. I followed the family's blog for awhile, and I was always so amazed by their strength. This race is a perfect example of people making something wonderful out of something truly tragic.

TiredMamaRunning said...

I've actually just learned (and should probably make a note of it somewhere in a new blog entry) that after several of us expressed interest in being virtual or "phantom" runners that it's possible to run this race from afar. Mickey said that if anyone wants to run virtually, just write "phantom runner" on the registration when sending it in. They'll get the race shirt out in the mail to virtual runners after the race. :)

Preston said...

Wow I didn't know you were from northern VA. I always thought you were from Kansas. Sounds like a good reason to run.