Friday, February 6, 2009

I hope this isn't a new pattern

Six months ago, I had a week or two at this point in my training, approaching the end of the second Pfitz mesocycle, when I had to scale back my mileage considerably (though thankfully, just for a short period of time) to avoid major injury when my body was throwing up warning signs that it was stressed. I'm not injured this time, but it seems like my usually ironclad immune system decided to take a vacation.

It's very frustrating. I was very satisfied with Saturday's race and subsequent training runs, and then was totally KO'd by Wednesday night with the raw throat, congestion and gunk of your standard upper respiratory infection. I've got that lovely two-pack-a-day smoker voice going on, and haven't been able to focus very well on the online continuing education course I need to complete in the next week.

Oddly enough, I feel like I had a decent class at adult ballet last night, and was even told that my technique's been looking better recently. To be fair, I think this has more to do with the fact that the class has somehow morphed from the basic beginner class I started a few years ago to one that pushes the top level of the class, meaning that I have to work hard to not get left far behind the ladies who have danced since childhood. I'm glad that I went, though-it seemed to provide a bit of the stress reduction I need to get to feeling healthy and 100% again.

Since exercise doesn't seem to be making me dramatically worse, I am going to go ahead with a recovery-ish type run tonight instead of the planned Pfitz GA run with strides, and see what my body says in response to that. Then, after hitting the showers, I'll be going with my better half to the local art center's First Friday showcase to see an exhibit that includes work from the tenant who is renting our old house. We couldn't sell the place for what we needed, but somehow karma came around and brought us great, trouble-free renters who pay the rent on time. Can't beat that in today's economy, and I'm looking forward to checking out his work. I'm hoping that between a gentle run and night out of the house without the kids, I'll be able to beat this bug out of the system for good.

2 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

Hope you feel better!

Oz Runner said...

sorry about the sickness and the bump in the road with your training...remember to be flexible and listen to your body....hope you get back to 100% soon