Friday, September 11, 2009

Long distance runner, what you standin there for?

Get up, get out, get out of the door.

Yes, just a little Grateful Dead before we burn up the trail heading over Imogene Pass tomorrow. Okay-for those familiar with the route, or who have read my prior entries about the route- you know I'm kidding about getting over the little hill at breakneck speed. It was the title of several of our weekly threads among the women trying to run a BQ time, and with a little group of us getting together for this mountain run, it seems like an apropos title. I really just want to stay on my feet, not get sick, not fall on anything sharp, pointy, slippery, icy or any other surface likely to leave a mark. Oh, and I also want to enjoy every challenging, painful and beautiful moment of the journey.

This is going to be a celebration of the good stuff in life-family and friends, and the fact that we should get up, get out the door and get moving because we CAN. We're here, we're healthy, and I think that there's no better reason to go for a run. We may not always be here or able to such things, and we never know when our time is up. It's going to be a good time to appreciate the beauty of this country and this state, count myself lucky to be here and healthy, and think about the people who aren't here or able to do stuff like this.

I'm not an overly sentimental person but I felt like I needed to say these things. I'm really happy to be able to share the weekend with a bunch of kickass, strong ladies, and I look forward to a great Saturday for myself, as well as one of the group. Here's to wishing good, strong runs to those of you who can run, and acknowledging those who can't, or aren't here to do it.

3 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

So true- we have a LOT to be thankful for. Thanks for the reminder! Have a great running weekend.

Black Bear! said...

I came here looking for my update. Where are the results? If I have to wait much longer for a RR, I might have to write one myself!

IT sounds like a spectacular weekend you all had. So happy for you!

TiredMamaRunning said...

Haha, BB-I just got back earlier this a.m. and didn't have a laptop with me (we've got two old ones in sad, hurtin' shape to make a long story short).

Cliff's Notes was that it was totally awesome. We're making the rest of you join the party next year too. :P